Welcome! The Office of the University Building Official is responsible for administering the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code at UVa. Our core duties include:
- Perform all State-mandated duties delegated to Virginia Building Officials through the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code and Code of Virginia.
- Issue building permits for new construction, renovations, demolition, and temporary structures such as stages, membrane structures, and portable buildings.
- Review drawings for conformance to applicable regulations and UVa energy and quality standards.
- Participate in the University’s Value Management process for all capital construction projects.
- Inspect buildings for compliance with fire safety requirements, accessibility guidelines, and other State building, mechanical, electrical, and plumbing codes.
- Issue certificates of occupancy for new buildings and approvals for re-occupancy after renovations.
We have an experienced team of engineers and architects that provides technical expertise related to complex design and construction issues. Regardless of the size or nature of your project, we look forward to working with you.